Press & Publications
Ashwin leads India’s oldest, and one of its largest, IP firms. He is a recognised IP thought leader and clients benefit from his experience of more than two decades in resolving complex issues, especially in matters of trademark law and patent policy.
He attends IP events and conferences around the world and speaks frequently – sharing the Indian IP perspective and contextualising it vis-à-vis global trends. He has written many articles on diverse themes and is often asked to comment on topical issues, making his a well-known name on the international circuit.
He is active on several committees and contributes to many intellectual property initiatives and business organisations:
– Long a member of INTA (International Trademark Association), he is currently on its Publications Committee;
– He is also a member of APAA (Asian Patent Attorneys Association), AIPPI (International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property), FICPI (International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys) and PTMG (Pharmaceutical Trade Marks Group);
– He leads from the front at the BRICS IP Forum – a forum set up in 2008 by Remfry & Sagar in partnership with Daniel Advogados (Brazil), Gorodissky & Partners (Russia) and CCPIT Patent and Trademark Law Office (China);
– He is a member of the Editorial Board of LSIPR – Life Sciences Intellectual Property Review – a magazine which tracks the increasing challenges for intellectual property specialists in the rapidly evolving world of life sciences;
– He is also a member of the Indo-German Chamber of Commerce and the Indo-French Chamber of Commerce;
Ashwin serves as a Director on the board of several companies.
Trademarks; Patents; IP Litigation
Bachelor’s Degree in Economics, LL.B.
Ashwin is a nature enthusiast – he feels more alive when he’s breathing in crisp mountain air, when he’s carefully tending to the different species of palms and frangipani and seasonal flowers in his garden and when he’s watching new sceneries unfold on his travels. He appreciates beauty in art and design and seeks to collect pieces that will complement his surroundings. One day soon he’s going to take piano lessons – until then, much joy comes from time spent listening to his favourite music. Last, but definitely not least, he delights in spending time with family which includes three adorable dogs.
– ‘IP Star’ – Managing Intellectual Property (MIP) magazine 2016-20
– ‘Hall of Fame’ – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020; ‘Leading Individual’ (Intellectual Property) – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2016-19
– Features in ‘WTR Global Leaders’ 2019, 2020
– ‘Gold Band (Individuals: Prosecution & Strategy)’ – WTR 1000 (The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals) 2016-20
– ‘Featured Lawyer (Prosecution)’ – IAM Patent 1000 (The World’s Leading Patent Professionals) 2015-20
– Features in ‘The A List – India’s top 100 lawyers’ – India Business Law Journal 2016-19
– ‘Elite Practitioner (Intellectual Property) – Asialaw Profiles 2020, 2021; ‘Market-leading lawyer’ (Intellectual Property) – Asialaw Profiles 2017-19;
– Global Leader: Trademarks – Who’s Who Legal 2018-20;
– ‘50 Patent Lawyers You Should Know’ – Asia IP 2014
“Clients describe him as ‘a born leader’, adding that ‘all the team is well organised under his leadership’.”
Chambers Asia Pacific, 2013
“Managing partner Ashwin Julka is a renowned expert across the IP spectrum. He is ‘a superb strategist who excels in extracting maximum value for rights holders’.”
IAM Patent 1000, 2013
“The ‘skilled and trustworthy leader’ is a favourite among in-house counsel: ‘His presence on complex mandates is reassuring – once he appears, all doubts disappear’.”
WTR 1000, 2014
“Astute tactician Ashwin Julka is an eminent authority on trademark law who has authored chapters on the Madrid Protocol in India for the International Trademark Association (INTA).”
WTR 1000, 2016
“Helming the group is celebrated practitioner Ashwin Julka, whose unparalleled understanding of all things intellectual property ensures that he is never caught off guard.”
WTR 1000, 2017
“Market commentators highlight managing partner Ashwin Julka as "brilliant," with "a very good mind." He is particularly experienced handling matters related to trade mark and patent protection.”
Chambers Asia Pacific, 2017
Press & Publications
As per the rules of the Bar Council of India, we are not permitted to solicit work or advertise in any manner. By proceeding further and clicking on “I Agree” below, the user acknowledges that the transmission, receipt or use of the information on our website does not tantamount to solicitation, advertisement, inducement or personal communication of any sort for and on behalf of the Firm so as to create an attorney-client relationship.
The information provided herein should not be interpreted as legal advice, for which the user must make independent inquiries. Whilst every effort has been taken to ensure the accuracy of the contents of this website, Remfry & Sagar disclaims all liability arising from reliance placed by the user or any other third party on the information contained therein.